Our success rate is extremely low, however, when we do get success, it’s so wildly incredible…that we can invest in 1000 companies knowing that only 10 of them will make us any money…” – Rand Fishkin, Sparktoro co-founder
A tech entrepreneur, author, blogger, and leader in SEO, Rand Fishkin is well-versed in everything you would need to know in marketing and starting your own business. Having co-founded the world’s most popular resource for search marketers, Moz, and Sparktoro a few years ago, he’s experienced all the ups and downs of entrepreneurship. Sparktoro is the latest platform that collects data on a business’ target audience to inform all kinds of marketing strategies. He’s written a book, ‘Lost and Founder’, about his startup journey and all the struggles of entrepreneurship. Striving to inspire change in the business world, Sparktoro is his latest venture that he hopes will lead others to adopt a ‘chill’ work culture, and guide others on how to break out of the conventional marketing chains.
“[I want to] pave the path for entrepreneurs and founders to build a chill work business, and…help businesses and organisations of all kinds break the Google and Facebook duopoly chains on their marketing” – Rand Fishkin on Sparktoro’s purpose
JOIN OUR HOST, ROBERT TADROS IN CONVERSATION WITH RAND FISHKIN ON THE REALITY OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND OPTIMISING YOUR MARKETING STRATEGY.
The conversation covers:
- The start of Rand’s marketing journey in the early 2000s (2:03)
- His struggles for success and dealing with debt (2:50)
- Sparktoro’s inception (4:25)
- Rand’s tell-all book – Lost and Founder (5:35)
- The downside of being an entrepreneur (6:08)
- How society judges vulnerability in leaders (8:01)
- Venture Capitalism and pattern-matching (9:28)
- The growth over profit mindset (15:50)
- The Great Resignation (22:30)
- ‘Chill work’ at Sparktoro (25:50)
- The Sparktoro elevator pitch (27:13)
- What’s on the roadmap? (34:12)
- Rand’s special proposal (37:49)
- 3 top tips for marketers and entrepreneurs (40:57)
“You don’t need to be everywhere…you can do better marketing by picking channels, and tactics that you’re really good at, that really work for your audience, where you have personal passion and interest, and you can provide unique value”. – Rand Fishkin
Listen as Rand takes us through his entrepreneurial experience from Moz and Sparktoro – his struggles, what it’s taught him, and how you should approach starting your own business. Rand’s ‘chill’ work mindset is changing culture, helping people maintain high capacity brain work, and in turn making better decisions. We find out Rand’s predictions on the future of venture capitalism and his top marketing and entrepreneurial tips.