Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“Understand your customer, it sounds so basic but most companies don’t do it” – Mark Baartse
Voted in as one of the Top 50 CMOs in Australia, Mark Baartse is an incredibly experienced outsourced Chief Marketing Officer who has led many well known companies to success. Catch.com, ShowPo, Big W, Salesforce and Microsoft are just a few of the brands that Mark has worked with throughout his career.
Mark’s expertise lies in creating strategies that accelerate growth and he pushes the boundaries of innovation through the use of AI and data driven branding. A self confessed risk taker, he has an intrinsic understanding of the digital marketing practices required to gain great results for his clients.
“I’ve asked myself many times, ‘can my job be replaced?’ And I think parts of it can be, not all of it…” – Mark on the implementation of AI in marketing.
JOIN OUR HOST, ROBERT TADROS IN CONVERSATION WITH MARK BAARTSE ON EVERYTHING PERFORMANCE MARKETING VS. BRAND MARKETING AND THE FUTURE OF AI.
The conversation covers:
- How Mark got started in marketing (1:04)
- Being drawn to different niche industries (2:45)
- Performance marketing vs. brand marketing (3:55)
- Limitations of focussing only on ROAS (11:35)
- What’s happening in the AI space right now? (15:05)
- The ethics of AI and where it’s headed (18:17)
- Jobs that AI will ultimately be replacing (24:30)
- Challenges, learning and gaining experience (25:07)
- Mark’s predictions for the eCommerce space (28:33)
- The ultimate piece of advice for brands (31:03)
- Remember that execution should always follow strategy (33:44)
- Mark’s passion for CRO (37:09)
“It’s not that ROAS is bad, but it can only take you so far” – Mark Baartse
Mark speaks candidly about what propelled him into the world of marketing many years ago. He unpacks the differences and limitations when it comes to performance marketing and brand marketing, and how focussing just on ROAS isn’t everything. Mark also talks about the ethics behind AI and where he sees it heading in the future.
Did that podcast resonate with you? To learn more about Mark and his work, head to his website or connect with him on LinkedIn.